Come Join Us At the Beach!
Spring is here, and it is the perfect time to put a pen in your hand, and your feet in the sand. Come join on April 22, 2017 for a day of writing fun at Huntington State Park. Admission is $5 per person, payable at the gate. Additional info about the facilities can be found at: http://southcarolinaparks.com/huntingtonbeach/introduction.aspx
For more information and to order a box lunch for this event, Click Here
Our Next Meeting…
Our next meeting is this Saturday, March 25, 2017.
10:30 Board meeting (all members invited, committee reports can be sent to me)
11:00 Quick announcements followed by High Fives and Oh Mys
Opportunity to buy tickets and goals
Lunch and networking
Our Guest Speaker is Stephanie Phillips of SBR Media. Stephanie will join us to speak about SBR Media, and share her insights in self-publishing.
Happy New Year – 2017
We hope you had a wonderful Winter Holiday and are ready for 2017. We at Lowcountry Romance Writers of America are ready and excited about the New Year. We have some exciting things planned for 2017, including great programs, more networking opportunities, and more contact with writers all over our state. If you’re new, we hope you’ll come to a meeting, meet our writers, and see what we have to offer. If you’re returning, we look forward to seeing you soon!
We at Lowcountry Romance Writers of America hope that our authors and readers are having a wonderful fall!
Summer is Sizzling!
We are so pleased to announce that our very own, Ann Chaney has won the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense in the Unpublished Historical Romantic Mystery/Suspense category! Way to go Ann!
Spring Has Sprung?
We hope your 2016 has been a great year so far. Thank you to all of you who renewed and welcome to our group, new members.
It’s spring – or at least it’s supposed to be, though you wouldn’t know it to go by the weather – and with spring comes life and birth…so what a perfect time for us to roll out our brand new website!! We hope you love the new look. Please take a moment to look around and let Amy Quinton know if you see any problems that need to be addressed…whether it be errors, confusing links…whatever concerns you.
This month, we’d like to congratulate our member, Alison Ryan, for qualifying for PAN at RWA. Congratulations, Alison!
Our Next Meeting:
This month, we have our very own, Angela Mizell, speaking about The Art of Critique. This presentation is sure to be useful as it is clear that critiquing someone’s work is not easy. But it is a skill that can be mastered…. and what great timing, for we hope to see some critique groups forming in the coming months.
Happy Writing, Y’all!
What Can LRWA Do For You?
Our February meeting is going to be a little different from our normal monthly meeting. We have no formal speaker planned, but we have a lot to discuss, brainstorm, and plan…
We want to know – what do you want out of your local chapter? More online courses? Informal social events? More speakers?
Further, we will be discussing:
1) Our new website… Amy Quinton will provide mock-ups for new and improved screens for our website. We’re looking for your ideas for Frequently Asked Questions, our Chapter Benefits, and the site’s usability.
2) New member programs… Do you want new member programs such as a critique group, mentorship program, write-ins/sprints, or writing challenges/prompts? Do any of these topics interest you? Do you have better ideas? Let’s figure this out. Let’s make this chapter be what we need to further our careers as authors.
3) Our mission statement… We need to refresh our mission statement. RWA has changed the way we do things, our mission statement needs to reflect those changes. Once we have a new statement it has to be approved by RWA National.
4) Our online courses… What topics would you like to see as an online course? Annual membership includes one free course, but no one takes advantage of this benefit. Why? What new way can we promote our online courses? How can each member help?
5) The possibility of creating an Anthology of writing techniques or romance short stories written by our members… We need a coordinator to assign or accept entries from each member. This will be an income producing project for the chapter. What techniques would you like to see? Plotting, characterization, research, dialogue – which one can you write about? Or would you rather have an Anthology of our chapter member short stories in their own genre? Let’s discuss and create a timeline. Is it feasible to do this in a year? Two years?
We hope to see you all there! Let’s make this chapter work for you!
Time to Renew
Hello to all LRWA members!
It’s that time of year again where we are faced with making decisions such as how many re-gifted Christmas presents is considered too many? Will the IRS believe that seeing Fifty Shades of Grey is actually research? Should we tell Great Aunt Edna her fruitcake makes a great door stop?
Well here’s a decision that isn’t anywhere near as difficult to make – renewing your LRWA membership!
Go to the LRWA website www.lowcountryrwa.com where you have the option to either renew on-line or print a hardcopy application which can be mailed (or brought to the January 23rd meeting) with your payment.
The renewal fee is $30.00 due by January 31st. An additional late charge of $5.00 will be added after February 29th (it’s a leap year!)
As always, membership in the RWA National Organization is required, so please be sure to include your RWA member number with your renewal information.
If you have any questions regarding membership either with LRWA or the RWA National Organization, please feel free to ask. If I don’t know the answer, which I probably won’t as I’m brand new at this, I will find out for you.
Looking forward to seeing everyone return, and let’s make 2016 a really great year!
Interested in Running for Office?
At our August Meeting, we finalized the members of the Nominations Committee for the 2015 Board of Directors elections. Appointed by Board Member Emmanuelle Nesbitt Murray, our Nominations Committee chairman for this year is Angela Mizell. Thank you, Angela, for volunteering your time.
In addition, Hilary Brown and Ina Nesbitt have volunteered to serve on the Nominations Committee. Details will soon be sent to the group outlining which positions are open for election and the associated duties for that position. If you already know you are interested in running for a position on the board or nominating someone for a position (with their permission, of course), please contact any one of these committee members.
Thank you Ina, Hilary, and Angela for volunteering your time for the betterment of LRWA!
August Meeting Date Change
Please note that our August meeting date has changed! Our monthly meeting will now be on August 15th… same time. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to attend so we can have an accurate head count.
Hope to see everyone there!